Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenlyn

Programmer
May 25, 2000
AU
What is the best way to generate an email message when a form is committed.

regards

Steve

Stephen,

If Oracle is running on a UNIX machine you could:

Have a shell script run once a minute looking for email files in a particular directory.

Create an email file in that directory from Oracle using the UTIL package.

If it's running on NT or something else -- can't help you, sorry.

In fact even running on web all form pl/sql logic is executed on the application server so you do can use host and call any external executable (at least I did it with Forms 5).

I've read either here or some other oracle forum that if you have outlook "server", I can't remember its correct name, running on the Web server then you can automatically send the emails out without the user having to click send. This would be for when you run your forms over the internet / intranet.

Otherwise from what I've heard (i've not worked with forms for a while) you can use the OLE extention to Oracle forms to open a mail in outlook and populate it (although the user must click send). The client must have outlook installed on there machine though (and may need it running at the time)

So that's how I'd do it if you wanted it to be initiated by the client. The alternative is to do it from the actual DB server. If your on 8.1.6 then you have a handy DBMS package called DBMS_SMTP that will do emails for you, There is an excellent FAQ on it in this forum.

Does that cover it??

HTH,

I think I remember reading that in 8.1.6 there is a package that allows you to send emails directly from PL/SQL. This is going on memory so please excuse if I'm mistaken. Maybe something called DBMS_SMTP. I don't have the doc at hand to check. If this is the case you could create the trigger in the DB to fire off the emails.

Ketan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back