Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

max7600

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2001
GB
My bosses have grown suspicious of an employee who has recently handed in her notice. She still has a couple of weeks to go before her final day but they believe she might be emailing confidential info to the outside.

we are using Windows Nt server, Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000.

1- Is there a way, with Exchange 5.5 to automatically send a copy of all the emails she sends out to another source without that person knowing ?

2- Other than going into that persons sent items folder, is there another way to view the emails she has sent out in the last couples of days?

3- Is doing this sort of thing legal?

I'd like some info on how to track this as well

1. This is called journaling, see Q258206 to install and configure this. You can do this per person and/or per server (both incoming and outgoing mails.)
2. Nope, if you'd had the journaling enabled, then yes, but now you must access her mailbox (or .pst file) and check the sent items (unless she's deleted them.)
3. Depending on the country you are in, yes and/or no, check with your legal department. I have seen corporate policies from hardline "i.e. The hardware, and ANYTHING on it belongs to the company. If you feel that is invasion of privacy, there's the door...don't let the knob poke you in the bum on your way out." to a relaxed environment "i.e. We will notify you days in advance and will require two managers approval before I can dust the keyboard."
Being outside IS guy myself, I REALLY like the hardcase policies myself, keeps me from getting involved when I erase the saved games from some employee's Halflife install.

Alex

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back