Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email spoofing (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckoff

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2007
CA
I have users on my network that are getting emails that are not addressed to them. The emails are from external email addresses by looking at the address.

How can I determine what is going on here. We just recently had some DNS changes made by a third party company about a month ago and now with in the last couple of weeks this seems to be happening.

We are running exch 5.5 on W2K Server SP4

Spam, sent via BCC.

If it's a big problem, you might need an anti-spam solution.

Yes I believe your right ...sent via BCC

We do have an anti-spam solution ...McAfee Security Sheild. It's not a huge problem right now as some users are getting 1-5 of these emails per day, but its get somewhat annoying. Any ideas how these are getting thru our anti-spam software?

Anti-spam software is not perfect and never will be. Spammers regularly change their techniques, and e-mail structures to bypass anti-spam software.

SpamAssassin is free and highly regarded, although it's best in a Linux platform and would take some expertise to set up.

We've been using No Spam Today ( which is Windows-based, and uses SpamAssassin as one of it's filters to build up a spam profile for each message. You can also add attachment filters, and write your own filters to check against each message.

I recommend it, although keep in mind it's licensing model is not the best and you may need to consider their unlimited-user license. You can also trial it if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back