Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email sits in outbox until other folder is clicked on 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodal

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
When i create a new email and press "send", it sits in the outbox until i click on another folder.

Is this to do with a setting in Outlook (2000), or is it to do with a setting in exchange (2003 enterprise edition)?

mcleodal:

In the Inbox , select Tools > Options . Select the Mail Delivery tab. Under Mail account options check the box Send messages immediately when connected . Your mail should now be sent immediately.

I do not get the option to do this with Outlook 2000.

More info might help:

All machines have xp sp2 and outlook 2000 (from office 2000 pro with sp1) not all machines have service packs 2 and 3

Sorry to ask about this in your post mcleodal but does this only happen to you only in outbox as I have one user who this happens to in inbox etc. as well. He's connecting to Exch 5.5 and to get his new mail or send the mail in the first place, he is having to refresh the folders. Basically if he's sitting in Outlook 2k in his inbox, he does not see any new mail until he leaves the folder and goes back or refreshes it and outbound mail stays in outbox until he goes to the folder. Unless he remembers to do this, he's completely unaware of new mail.

Yes, i believe this happens in the inbox aswell, from what my client has told me.

After further research, apparently this is a known problem with Outlook 2000 but there is no microsoft fix???

There are 2 Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles: 328608 & 328884, but they are for Outlook 2002 so whether it was never resolved for Outlook 2000.

Has anyone else any thoughts?

I had this problem with Outlook 2000 when we installed Windows XP SP2. As I understand it Exchange sends a UDP packet to Outlook to say there is a message waiting then Outlook asks for the message to be sent. The XP firewall blocks the UDP packet from Exchange so the message is not delivered until you refresh the folder. I created a program exception in the firewall to allow Outlook to accept UDP packets from the local subnet and it worked fine. Microsoft produced a very good guide on configuring the firewall using a group policy, if you have a lot of workstations to change.

Tightpants,

Would you have a link for the Microsoft guide on configuring the firewall using a group policy?

Thanks for the info on this one, I am having the same issue with XP SP2 clients connecting to an Exchange 2000 server.

Does anyone have a ready list of the UDP Ports that need to be allowed?

cheers,
David

Just realised that of course Outlook is using dynamically assigned ports, so ignore my post above.

cheers,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back