Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Recipient Policy updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
Quick question, if I update a user's first/last name in AD does the email address specified in the recipient policy get changed automatically?

I tried this but it didn't change. Admittedly I only waited 5mins. Does it take Xmins or does it do it at a specified time?

eg User John Smih was created and the policy created his email address john.smih@domain.com so I changed his name in AD to John Smith and want his address to become john.smith@domain.com. Checking in EMC his name had been updated from AD but the email address hadn't. After waiting 5mins I just unticked the box and ticked it again and it updated (also kept john.smih@).

I assume it would changed automatically eventually but can't find anything to tell me when it does. The schedule on the policy itself is set to immediate and that works for new users but it didn't when changing.

Yes it will process automatically, maintenance typically runs at night so you would notice the change the next day.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I tried this overnight and it did not update the email address.

I created user John Smih which created email john.smih@domain.com then I renamed him to John Smith in ADUC but his email address is still john.smith@ instead of john.smith@

In 'Organization Configuration' in the E-mail Address Policies there is only the default. It's schedule is set to 'Immediately'. There is an option to run at a spacified time but for a recurring task. I suspect that if I click Next that it will run the policy now and update the user's email address but I don't want to have to do this manually all the time. Does it not run on a schedule?

To be honest I have had it affect me but never noted when it ran on its own. How often are you updating user names that this is an issue? Rather than updating in AD why are are you not managing the account through the EMC? That will write to AD as well.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

It's pretty rare but it does happen.

The reason it's adjusted in ADUC not EMC is the people who are doing it are.....wel,, let's just say they don't know as much as they should ;) Giving them access to EMC would probably confuse them. There are things in the ADUC user profile that don't appear in the EMC profile so they'd need to (shock horror) think about which one to use before opening it. W2K/E2K was seamless as all Exchange stuff was in ADUC....but for obvious reasons that needed to change. It seems odd that changing the name in ADUC doesn't update the email address but doing the same name change in EMC does.

Not surprising at all. AD is not Exchange aware but Exchange is AD aware since it relies on it.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back