Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4606

MIS
Nov 28, 2005
US
I'm looking for a way to protect emails from email harvestors, to prevent spam. I read the faqs and also googled some. I was just wondering what the tek-tips' gurus recommend as far email protection. Currently im using
Code:
mailto:
with hard coded emails. What methods does everyone here use to protect emails?
I was looking at this site.
Seems like a pretty decent way to protect harvesting. Is this overkill, also it would seem like something fun to work on. Any ideas will do, as I am brainstorming right now.

I don't know the answer but my good friend Google does.

The best solution would be to create a form field to be submitted to your server, and then let the server send off the emails. These systems can be compromised by spammers so you'd have to set up protection against this.

You could also have javascript document.write out the link for the mailto if you'd rather do it that way. This would allow you to fragment the email address all you want and then pull it together as one string as it's outputted to the screen.

You could also use HTML character codes to generate the entire email address - I'm not 100% sure this will stop spiders though, but it's easy enough to do.

-kaht

Looking for a puppy?

[small]Silky Terriers are small, relatively odorless dogs that shed no fur and make great indoor pets.[/small]

you can also do this:

Code:
<script language="javascript">
a="mai";
b="lto:";
c="username";
d="server.com";
document.write("<a href=\""+a+b+c+"@"+d+"\">"+c+"@"+d+"</a>";
</script>

I doubt any spiders would get your email from that.

which is the same thing as #2 I posted above [wink]

-kaht

Looking for a puppy?

[small]Silky Terriers are small, relatively odorless dogs that shed no fur and make great indoor pets.[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back