Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email not receive in Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brysk

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
NC
I have a Internet Mail Connector on my exchange server sending email to a bridgehead server in our corporate site.

If I am sending five emails to my external email address (hotmail or gmail),
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3
Test 4
Test 5

I receive all the email but not in this order, is there something I can change on my server to force to send email first in, first out???

Thank you

I don't think it's an issue of your Exchange server not sending in order. Once the email is sent off on it's journey to it's destination, there are many factors involved that will affect timely delivery or latency of a single piece of email. It may be traversing different routes or servers, with each possibly experiencing different "weights and measures" at that particular moment. This would be especially true sending email to, say, Hotmail or Gmail...

Have you tested this theory by sending to another organization in which you know has only one email server or spam filter?

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

You could ratchet up SMTP logging and make sure it's actually leaving your org in the right order. It likely is. But you can't control what happens after it leaves that firewall.

Internet backbone routers have multiple paths to any one destination. Based on traffic, one message could go through France, while another could take a less scenic route.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thank you,

monsterjta, after reading your post I just realyse that in the organisation we have two bridgehead servers. Didnt think about that...

Martin Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back