Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMAIL no delivery messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycruce

Programmer
Jun 25, 2002
US
I am sending email using the following:

open (EMAIL, "| /usr/lib/sendmail -t -i")
or die ("Can't Open Email Pipe");

for ($i=0; $i<=$#ToAddresses; $i++){

print EMAIL &quot;To: $ToAddresses[$i]\n&quot;;

}
print EMAIL &quot;From: $FromAddress\n&quot;;
print EMAIL &quot;Subject: $Subject\n\n&quot;;
print EMAIL &quot;$Body&quot;;
close (EMAIL) or die (&quot;Can't close email pipe&quot;);

I use my personal email address in the $FromAddress. This works fine when I send e-mail that can be delivered properly. It has my personal address in the from section. However, when I send an email to a bad email address I don't get a non delivery message returned. I need to know if some e-mail are not delivered. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy Cruce

There is no way to know immediately. It could take from several seconds to several days for sendmail (or any mail server) to determine that delivery to a particular address is not possible.

The only way to determine deliverability is to monitor a mailbox to which the undeliverable notices are delivered.

Program your email sending app to record the email address to which it was a message. Then program a second app to monitor the mailbox for undeliverable notifications and tag the appropriate recorded emails as undeliverable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back