Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email marked as READ although it has not

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottew

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
Hello all,

We are using Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2

I have 1 person (happens to be the CEO) who has a Blackberry and uses the Blackberry Internet Service (they won't spring for a BES). When he receives an email, it shows up in Outlook and after a few minutes, it marks the email as READ even though he has not read it.

I have checked the Event Viewer in Exchange and this error is continually showing up:

Code:
Source: POP3SVC
Event ID: 1023

Error 0x7da occurred while rendering message 0001-000001a796dc for download for user user@domain.com.

I did some research on this and most things I can find relate to anti-virus. We are using GFI Mail Security and Mail Essentials which are all up to date on the latest version. As a test, I disabled GFI for a while but the problem still happened.

I'm lost at what to look for next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

What are you using for file level AV scanning? Make sure you're excluding the correct folders on the Exchange server.

I think you can still get the BES Express for free, and it includes a single license (and maxes out at 15).

You can also get third party solutions that use ActiveSync. That Internet version for Blackberry just chews up bandwidth.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I might be simplifying this a bit but have you checked his or his delegates reading pane settings? I have seen this before where the setting are set to mark as read when selection changes or mark as read when viewed in the reading pane.

Definitely check delegates and permissions on the mailbox to see who else has access.

Check his own email settings in case he is doing it.

Move from BIS to BES Express as Pat has suggested.

Delete and recreate his profile though I doubt it will make a difference.

Thank you all for your respsonses.

Today I did the following...

1) Checked to make sure all the correct directories are being excluded from file level AV.
2) Created a new Outlook profile.
3) Removed all delegates.
4) Confirmed reading pane was turned off.
5) Disabled GFI Mail Security.

Unfortunately I still have the same problem.

The good news is that I think I may have convinced them to spend the $$$ on the Blackberry Enterprise Server. I'm currently reading some whitepapers, but I was wondering if the BES needs to be on a dedicated server or does it get installed on the Exchange Server?

Thanks,
Scott

That depends on your environment. BES and Blackberrys in general, do tend to beat up on Exchange storage considerably.

If you have a beefy server that's under utilized, and a small number of BB users, you could get away with it on the Exchange server. I'm a dedicated server kind of guy - even if it's virtualized.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I would definitely put the BES on it's own dedicated server.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

When you retrieve mail through pop3 exchange 2003 marks the messages as read. So probably the blackberry is fetching mail with the pop3 service.

The best option as mentioned before is to run Blackberry Professional Software Express on your server, you get 1 User CAL for free with Push Mail and Calendar, Contacts sync. Works like a charm.

And if poss put a virtual server onto Exchange then put BES on that rather than putting BES onto Exchange directly as from memory there are some CDO issues for interoperability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back