Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email logging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolPete30

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
GB
Hi - Is there any way to log outgoing emails on an Exchange server (5.5) in order that you can get an idea of the traffic?

PistolPete-

How much detail are you looking? I'm thinking that enabling logging would give you an idea of email volume.

Adminman

PistolPete-

I was having trouble remembering where I enabled the message tracking. I finally remembered. In exchange administrator goto the IMS for your site. At the bottom is enable message tracking, select it, then APPLY, then OK.
This will create a folder called tracking.log within the your exchange folder. These are MMDDYY.log files. Check out this article (q173280) from MS concerning descriptions of the fields.

Good luck.

Adminman

why would you not just use the windows/exchange performance monitors. if you really want to get with it, you can use mrtg graphs to display your performance logs. you should be able to get all the traffic reports you want from exchange performance monitors except things like how many emails did sally send or how many emails did frank send to blueshoes.com

Hope this helps,

Molly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back