Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiejane

Programmer
Oct 29, 2009
US
I am new to Cognos...and recently started working on a report.

In cognos 8.4, would it be possible to send an email if a particular condition in a report occurs.

For example:-

We have a report which has employee data such as emp ID, emp name, emp staus, emp manager, emp dept....etc

The employee status(emp status) is 'Active' or 'Inactive' for an employee on the report.

When the employee status is 'Inactive' an email needs to sent to the manager(emp manager). Only the manager name is present on the report, inorder to get the email ID do we need to connect to active directory(AD) to get email address.

Would it be possible to do it using report studio or using java script in report studio in Cognos 8.4 or do we need to write a .NET application for this to automate the process.

Any suggestions/help is really appreciated.

Hi,

Have a look at Event Studio. It’s designed for this type situation.

Nuffsaid.

I looked at event studio but I have a question.

The recipent names are different eveytime the report runs, how would I dynamically get the recipient names when the report runs.

Any help is appreciated?

Your report has Emp Manager, so it already has recipient names it should email too.

If you're emailing people, you should have a table that has the CAMID (or email address) of all your users. You would just link this table to Emp Manager.

If there are 50 employess with 'Inactive' status then 50 emails nees to be sent to their respective managers.

Would this be possible in Cognos using script/Event studio..etc.

I looked at event studio but I need to hard code the email address and also body there, but I have get the email address and the body should get data dynamically for each employee who has 'Inactive' status.

Is there any other way do this. I am googling but no success.

Any help is really appreciated.

The format of the email which I need:

To: (Different in each email for X manager)dynamically

Subject: fixed (Hard code)
Body: (Dynamic) The person X has been Inactive.
(The X value changes )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back