Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email from Microsoft OWA user pops up a logon box for Lotus Notes User

Status
Not open for further replies.

1OldMan

MIS
Mar 3, 2008
US
A user sends email with attachments from their OWA (webmail) connection to a user in another company that uses Lotus Notes. When the user with Lotus Notes tries to view the email, a logon dialog box pops up requesting credentials from the OWA users webmail domain?

Lotus Notes user can just perform a cancel and move on but what and why is this happening to the Lotus Notes users with OWA email with attachments are sent.

thanks ahead of time people
1OldMan

Sounds like a firewall prompt to me. Pretty common if there is any kind of html/links in the email

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

That might just be the answer. The attachments are such that might prompt an http request.

My only thought with this is the following:

The OWA user's webmail domain is the logon popup prompt for the Lotus Notes user when they try to view the email. Obviously the Lotus Notes user is in another company and does not have logon credentials for the OWA users domain.

Does that still sound like a firewall issue?

thanks for commenting

The firewall at my office does the same thing. It looks like its prompting for me to login to another domain, but it is merely informing the user of the domain they are attempting to access.

For instance, if I go to my firewall prompt makes it look like the login is for google, though it is actually to go to something outside the company intranet. The Lotus Notes version of the prompt can be even more misleading!!

Of course without seeing the pop up and knowing the structure of the other company it is pretty tough to tell what the pop up really is

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Thank you very much for your answers and explanation. Very much appreciated.

1OldMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back