Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Forwarding Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkeith

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2001
GB
Hello All,
I have an issue regarding the forwarding of emails that's driving me up the wall. We want to forward emails from a satellite office back to the head office exchange server so that they can use terminal services to pick up their emails from here.

We are both on different domains, hence the need to redirect emails from abc.co.uk to def.co.uk. I know it's convoluted, but it has to be this way as we're phasing out their exchange server and moving everything onto ours. We redirect emails on accounts here at def.co.uk all the time, for example when people are out of office we redirect their emails via a contact to their blackberry or mobile phone. On the abc.co.uk exchange server I have created the contact that will deal with the forwarding and set the email address as fred@def.co.uk. If I send fred@abc.co.uk an email then he gets a copy in his mailbox, but the email doesn't forward to def.co.uk. If I change the contact email address to be harry@abc.co.uk then both fred and harry (both on the same exchange server) get the email. It would appear that the forwarding works, but not to an external email address?
I have searched tek-tips for a similar problem, but have had no joy.

Any help would restore my sanity.

Many thanks

Keith

Sounds like you need to create an Active Directory Contact that will forward the messages to the external domain.

In your ADUC, create a new contact (Right Clicky, New, Contact) fill out accordingly for your external recipient. Once finished with that, set the "forward to" to the external recipient you just created.

Hope that helps!

What if you forward emails to other domains, like gmail, does it work?

If you want to forward ALL emails to your domain, you may create a connector on abc server that configure def as smart host. Then relay all emails sent to abc to def. But you don't have a copy in abc though..

Hi all,
Snootalope: I've already created the contact. We use forwarding to contacts all the time and don't have any issues on our exchange server creating them.

RichardHuang: I've tried forwarding the contact to internal email accounts and that works fine. I've then tried redirecting the contact emails to gmail, hotmail etc and none of these arrive - not even in the spam folders.

It appears that the redirect fails when we attempt to send the emails to an external account?

Still driving me crazy!

You may want to send a few test emails and then go to message tracking center to see where the forwarding stucks...

Hi Keith,

I have extactly the same issue. Did you get it resolved?

Cheers

Phil

Hi all,
Nope, I still have the same problem. I've checked message tracking as per Richardhuang's suggestion. When I forward the contact to aninternal email then it is reflected in tracking. If I forward the contact to an external email then it is simply ignored, as if I haven't forwarded it at all. As I cannot seem to rectify this, I'm going to have to add a forwarding rule to the client that sends all incoming emails onto the external email - which works, but is a bit of a chew on to set up across the domain. If anyone does actually resolve this I'd really like to know what's gone wrong.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Keith

I have a similar problem too, I am forwarding emails to users blackberries, I have setup contacts in ADUC and set serverside forwarding in the AD user (exchange general tab)profile. If I send an email to the user from an account on the exchange server it forwards OK and appears in the inbox. If an email comes from outside the organisation it goes to the inbox but won't forward to the blackberry. I think it's a relay permissions problem but can't for the life of me find a way to allow these external emails to forward.
Any ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back