Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email for one address won't go 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have a user trying to send email to a specific email address. The address is good, and the recipient receieves email from other companys no problem.

A NDR is generated saying that the message could not go through. I've tried sending an email to this person and the message just sits in the queue, then finally NDR's after the specified period. Don't have any problems to other sites, and can receive from this recipient no problem.

Any ideas on where to look? It seems like the recipients server is not accepting the mail from my server for some reason.

TIA

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

USER(E-mail) on 5/9/2003 11:52 AM
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.
<&quot;ourserver&quot; #4.4.7>

I know the 4.4.7 indicates a recipient server problem, I just want to be 100%. I've already told my user it isn't our problem when this initially came up a few weeks ago, but it's crept back up so I wanna put it to bed once and for all.

This is probably what you already know but....

Numerical Code: 4.4.7
Possible Cause: The message in the queue has expired. The sending server tried to relay or deliver the message but the action was not completed before the message expiration time occurred. This message can also indicate that a message header limit has been reached on a remote server or some other protocol timeout occurred while communicating with the remote server.

Troubleshooting: This message usually indicates an issue on the receiving server. Check the validity of the recipient address, and determine if the receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly. It may be necessary to reduce the number of recipients in the header of the message for the host to which you are receiving this error. If you resend the message, it is placed in the queue again. If the receiving server is up, the message is delivered.

Are you able to send e-mail to a different address in their domain for example a contact us type address off their website or something. Maybe they are using a SPAM blocking list that you or your ISP have ended up on.

Thanks, already had that info (I keep the list on my desk). Our ISP is AT&T, which I doubt is on a spam list, and I think the NDR would be different for that. This is a customer of ours, so I'll check if they have another address to send to. It seems, however, that their server just isn't even acknowledging that email is trying to be sent to it.

I had a similar problem that stemmed from DNS. It was very weird. I could put in the Domain name in question in a browser and get their website. When I did an NSLOOKUP, the IP it returned went to a different Domain. I got the IP of their Mail server and added an MX record to our DNS and that fixed it...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

NSLOOKUP is returning the proper information.

Hello Mattwray

Could you talk me through how to add an mx record to DNS ?

We are having similar#4.4.7s with a number of companies, our DNS shows no MX records for the problematic companies

Thanks in advance

Paul

You should start a new thread, but this is how.
Open the DNS snap-in, Expand your Forward Lookup. Right-click the Forward Lookup and select Add a New Mail Exchanger. When the dialog box opens, enter the Domain, the Mail Server's IP and click OK.
This may or may not help, like I said we were experiencing trouble with our DNS for that Domain...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

If something can't complete in the time specified, why not increase the amount of time specified?

&quot;Default SMTP Virtual Server&quot; properties - General Tab: Connection Time-out (minutes).

I recently had a single recipient I could not send mail to. Increasing this time-out value (as well as my firewall proxy time-out) fixed it for me.

Can anyone tell me where I can locate a list of the numerical codes (ex. 5.7.1)?

Thanks,

James Logan

also support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/ webcasts/wc100802/WC100802.ppt may be useful. - Somehow in the dim and distant past I managed to get the white paper related to this webcast from MS, but unfortunately cant find it again ? (&quot;Exchange 2000 server Message categorizer and non-delivery report troubleshooting&quot; written by mohammad nadeem, published October 2002)

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

Your reply was excellent! It was exactly what I needed.

Thanks very much!

James Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back