Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email for confirmation and validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRinTetons

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2001
US
On a lot of sites when you join a group or request a product or service an email is generated with a unique key and sent to the user. The user must click a link in the email to be directed to a web site where they may be prompted to enter the unique key or perform some other authentication task.

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial or an example of how this is done? I want to shoehorn it into an existing web site if possible - the site runs on IIS and uses a LOT of .NET and C#, so those kinds of examples would be best. The emails are sent from the data server behind the web site, and there are a lot of services already being managed there.

Of course, I'm not a fan of wheel reinventing, so if there's a product out there that I can buy completed and use I'll look at that option, too.

-
Richard Ray
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

There may be something out there pre-built, but this is very easy to impliment yourself. I don't have specific code examples, but we do it on our site.
A user can register by entering some info and an email address. Once we get the email address, we generate our own email with a link that contains an enctryped query string with a "confirmation" value. If the person clicks the link, they go to a page on our site that deccrypts the qs and updates the DB to show that the person has a valid email account. From there, the user can now login and use the features that require a logon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back