Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Encryption Quick Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdragun

MIS
Jan 28, 2003
US
I would like to know if there is anyway to encrypt an email with out using PGP/public and private keys. To my knowledge I don't know of any, but I am getting as much info to humor my supervisor.

So with that said this what we would like to do. We would like to send emails with a .pdf attachment to people but it needs to be encrypted. We don't want to use public and private key encryption. Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this

Bdragun,

Did you find an answer for this?? If not, let me know. I have a solution possibly for you.

I was looking at this yesterday, but this is from the PGP manual about creating a "self-decrypting archive":

A self-decrypting archive (SDA) is a self-decrypting executable file that is conventionally encrypted using a passphrase you specify. The resulting file can be decrypted simply by double clicking it and entering the correct passphrase.

SDAs are valuable for situations where you need to send encrypted data to someone who does not have PGP. SDAs can be a single file, multiple files, a directory, multiple directories, or even an entire drive.

Note: SDAs can only be opened under the same operating system as they were created under. In other words, you cannot open an SDA on a Macintosh if it was created by the Windows version of PGP, and vice versa.

Version 9.0 is capable of creating encrypted and password protected ZIP files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back