Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email and opera browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

garebo

Vendor
May 29, 2002
CA
I just started using opera internet browser.
I was successful in importing IE6 links into it but I am concerned about email.
Do I have to use the email addies that i am using in win xp pro outlook express or am i entitled to use new email addies? If i have to use the same ones in opera as outlook express can i simply go to either outlook express or opera to access my emails?
What about hotmail?
As you can see i am green in this area.
Thanks in advance.

Perhaps i should add that i am running win xp pro and have both opera and internet explorer installed and operating, as well as outlook express.

as long as you old email client ( I assumed its oulook express), doesn't set to download all the email and deleted off the server, you can download them again into opera email client

So if I configure my outlook express to keep email and not delete it off the server, i can get them again on opera.
How do i do configure outlook express?
I also want to make sure i will have the emails in both places and can access both places.
Does that mean i would have to configure opera with the same email addies as i have in outlook express?
Or can i have different, new email addies in opera?

thanks

Yes, to configure OE to leave messages on the server see thread605-741843 (I don't feel like typing it again tonight). This will allow you to recieve the same messages with the opera mail client. You will also want to find a similar setting for the Opera mail client, otherwise OE may miss some mail.

I'm not sure where the Opera mail client stores e-mail addresses (address book). OE's e-mail addresses are stored in the Windows Address Book - the file name is usually username.wab I wouldn't expect Opera to use this address book, but it probably can import the addresses if needed.

This whole process could be quite confusing especially if you start to use mail rules to filter spam and other features that would be different for each mail client. I recommend that you decide which client you prefer, and only use that one.

What about forgetting about importing from outlook express and just having an email addy in opera that is different from outlook express, can i do that?

thanks search66. Guess you're an opera fan?

I found out that my isp allows me up to 7 emails.

What i would like to know is can i simply go into opera and create, say, 2 more different email addys, different than i already have in outlook express?
I have this fear of opening the email inside opera and messing up the emails i have in outlook express. I do have a backup but its not alway 100% up to date and i have deal going in forums and wouldnt want to lose anything.
Can someone give me their experience in this area?
thanks

yes, you can use opera to collect mail from a different (or multiple) e-mail accounts. Your ISP will have to set up the additional accounts on their server for you to use. Then you can use this new account with opera.

oh, oh, i have read and heard the phone spiel that my isp doesnt do tech support for anything but outlook express.
Oh well, wont hurt to try.
If i go into opera and try it out, lets say i am successful in creating a new email addy, then what you are telling me is that it wont work without it being added in at my isp's level.
Potential prob there but i guess theres one way to find out. Mainly i am worried about messing up the email i already have with outlook express, cant afford to do that at this time.

If your ISP allows 7 e-mail accounts, it doesn't matter what client software you use to get the mail. But, the ISP has to create the account somename@somewhere.com on thier server. If everyone could do it from within their mail personal mail client software, what would stop every user from have hundreds of mail accounts?

ok, i got my isp to make 2 new email accounts for me and then i went into opera and tried to follow their instructions and failed. I really cant understand their tutorial, even though it seems to be pretty well written.
Guess im just a dummy! But i can build you a new computer. Course thats easy these days, was a lot tougher in the days of the 286 i have heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back