Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email an attachment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jianbo

Programmer
Dec 19, 2001
US
I want to email a pdf file as attachment. I read the thread in FAQ.
His code is :
$filename = "myfile.jpg";
$content_type = "image/jpeg";
$fd = fopen($filename, "r");
$data = fread($fd, filesize($filename));
fclose($fd);

While I don't know $content_type of pdf, so I left it empty. Then code doen't work. What should I put it in $content_type?

Unfortunately, I found even jpg file doesn't work for that source code? Who has tried to send attachment?
I tried to give $filename a real path, but it doesn't work either.
I wonder problem is on
$data = fread($fd, filesize($filename));
When I give a wrong $filename here, I got the email with a empty attchment.
Thanks.

I'd look at using one of the mailer classes, like PEAR/Mail. You have to set up your mime headers and properly encode the file to be compatible with the mail RFCs.

To flesh out my answer more...

The problem is that SMTP is a 7-bit protocol and you're trying to send 8-bit data. You must use base-64 (or something similar) to encode your attachment, then place that attachment in a MIME content-block.

Don't make yourself crazy -- use some library to handle all this for you.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

it might come later but you don't appear to be outputing the data you've read any where.
try an echo $data just before the close.
If that doesn't work look as fpassthru()

Thanks All. Especially to Sleipnir214.
I tried PHPMail, it is very powerful and easy to use. When I finish my work, I am going to dive into its code to discover how mail works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back