Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email addresses not being created when adding new user

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesid

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
US
I just noticed this yesterday. I went to add a user and it asked me if i wanted to create an exchange email address. I said yes but when i click on the properties of of that user and selected email addresses nothing was there. Usually it lists the SMTP address, CC MAIL, X.400, etc. Now it is blank and i have to manually add the email addresses i want. Any idea why? In the recipeint policy it does list those addresses and they do have a check mark next to them.

Yes. I only have one server and i have added people before and gone right into the details and it has been there. Very strange. But now, it doesnt show up.

I've had this happen on my Exchange server also. When I try to access the account in OWA, I get page cannot be displayed. To fix it, I wiped the account and recreated it, usually in a different information store or storage group.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people - Mr. Garrison

I also had the same problem and discovered that the Exchange System Attendant service was not running and would not run. In the end I had to do a system state restore from back-up exec to solve the problem...
Have you checked all the nessersary Exchange sevices are running and functioning correctly?

"A picture is not worth a 1000 words on the Internet. The information is in the text."

Everything is started and looks normal. The only thing i changed about a week ago was some SMTP settings. In particular i changed the timeout for delivery from 2 to 3 days. However i do not think this would affect the email addresses from being imported during a new user add. I am very baffled. I could always restart a service, but which one should i restart?

If everything looks ok I'm not sure if simply starting and stopping a service would do anything...

xmsre suggested these links in thread858-838483:

Other threads has also mentioned the RUS (Recipient Update Service) being the cause of the problem. Have a look round knowledge base if these don't work...
Also another thread (thread858-225240) managed to sort it out by re-appling their SP2 and restarting.

Let me know what you think.

"A picture is not worth a 1000 words on the Internet. The information is in the text."

I had this problem, baffled me. No changes, worked fine before... Open System Manager, expand Recipients, select Recipient Update Service, right click on each instance and say update now. Updated my new user with the proper SMTP.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back