Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eMac OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottian

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
GB
Does the eMac require a specific operating system?
Ive tried starting it from 3 iMac install disks but the eMac wont start from disk. It just thinks about it for a bit, CD drive spins but then just gives up and the eMac goes back to starting from the hard drive. Ive tried all the 'secret' key combos to try to force disk startup but the same thing happens every time. I bought it for my kids, but there are already two accounts set up, an admin one and a student one. I want to format the drive and install a system without any accounts. Can anyone help?

"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children."...Bill Hicks

It could be that the media you have is a DVD and the eMac only has a CD drive. I can't recall the exact specs.

You may need a set of system discs specifically for the eMac. Although the operating system is the same across all flavours of Mac the installers can be restricted to certain machines.

Basically if the disc doesn't have the appropriate ROM drivers to allow booting from the disc then it won't work.

You should just be able to remove the old accounts and set up new ones without too much bother though.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

If you're trying to use install disks that came with other macs, you'll have problems since they are geared for just the machine they came with. A generic OSX, disk will work, but you have to be careful about CD vs DVD. As Far as I recall (we have some emacs) the installer was CD. They read DVD but I don't know if they'll boot from a dvd. Ours are from 2003 but I don't know about earlier models.

As long as you know the admin password, you can delete accounts (other than admin) or add new ones. but it's a good idea to have a boot version. You can look at eBay for replacements for your eMac,

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

If you run the System Profiler and select Hardware then ATA, you should get a list of the drives attached to the system. Look for a CD or DVD drive. It will show the model numbers and everything.

The SYSTEM PROFILER feature has been around since OS 8.0!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back