Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ELLIPSE EQUIPMENT REGISTER - CORRUPT MASTER DATA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngy49

Technical User
Apr 8, 2011
AU
Has anyone experienced the issue where the data entered into Ellipse is corrupt? If yes - have you cleansed the data and how did you go about data cleansing.

I am currently studying at CQU for a masters in maintenance management and the corrupt master data and its cleansing is my research topic.

I am employed at a large mining company in Queensland, our equipment register has over 63,000 items loaded

I have categorised the types of data corruption existing in our equipment register below:
.Duplicate assets
.Non-compliance to companies standards (many employees have access to maintain the equipment register)
.Using a generic/miscellaneous equipment class (ie XX)
.Incorrect settings of various flags (ie Active checkbox not activated)
.Orphaned equipment (no productive unit linked)
.Items loaded that are not considered as maintainable assets by companies asset definition(ie domestic appliances)

It does not appear as data corruption as much as the lack of, or not following, procedures regarding maintaining the data. It sounds like a free-for-all when it comes to updating the equipment which is a recipe for what you describe. Clean-up in this case is accomplished by getting a couple of your knowledgeable maintenance folks together with someone who knows the back-end really well and can effectively query the data. No silver bullets here, just a lot of painstaking work.

On the other hand, if your data was initially loaded into Ellipse and is corrupt, then you need an experienced back-end person with SQL skills working with the maintenance folks to investigate and clean-up (plug) the data.

Good luck.

Thanks WiseOldFool - you are spot on with your comments!

Prior to my time with the business a couple of things happened - firstly its a bit of a legacy/cultural issue before MIMS was implemented each maintenance department had their own CMMS (MEX, Engarde, MainPac, etc) that was maintained by their planner(s), including the equipment register, when MIMS was implemented back in the late 90's a heap of the existing legacy systems data was loaded into MIMS and planners (about 60 planners) STILL retained the privilages of being able to maintain the equipment register - the result being a whole heap of corruption in the register. We have a project currently running that will address the corrupt data AND prevent future free-for-all access to the equipment register.

I am still interested in hearing of anyone that has experienced a similar problem with MIMS/Ellipse or any other ERP/EAM or CMMS. And how they resolved the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back