Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elipse with a Dotted Stroke Line Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbes500

Technical User
May 4, 2006
CA
I'm trying to create an elipse in CS2.. simple enuff right? Thing is, the elipse has to have a dotted line style stroke. I can currently accomplish this with painshop & just copy & paste the dotted elipse over to photoshop, but I'd really like to know how to do it with photoshop, so I can have a vector object of the proper dimensions, as cutting & pasting from an external editor like painshop results in a bitmap that becomes distorted when transformed to meet the proper proportions.

- S. Forbes
Steelton Progressive Web Design

...have an experiment with the brushes palette, there are spacing options and all sorts of other controls to stroke a path with a custom brush all of your own desire...

...the spacing option is under brush tip shape and also dual brush...

...once set stroke a path with your new brush preset...

...a very smart feature too...

...enjoy and all the best!

..screenshot to help out a bit more:

To create a brush and set painting options
Open the Brushes palette by clicking the brushes palette button in the options bar. Make sure the Brush tool is selected to see the button.
In the Brushes palette, choose an existing brush preset to modify or select a brush shape from the Brush Tip Shape panel of the Brushes palette.

You can also create a new brush tip from an image. With a selection made go to edit > define brush preset.

Select Brush Tip Shape on the left side of the Brushes palette and set options.

To lock brush tip shape attributes, click the unlock icon . To unlock the tip, click the lock icon .

To save the brush for use later, choose New Brush Preset from the Brushes palette menu.

...a dashed line rather than a dot to REALLY follow a path and bend around corners is tricky it seems, i have yet to find a way of doing this without using illustrator...

andrew

Thanks a bunch, didnt realize that my brush palette applied to the elipse tool. Great to know now :)
For this particular project I ended up creating the dotted line in flash as I needed to animate it & when it comes to making something appear to "snake" along a motion guide like I intend, an imported photoshop just doesnt work right.

- S. Forbes
Steelton Progressive Web Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back