Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminating duplicates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBig1980s

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2007
Hello:

In Crystal XI, my details section is hidden and allows for drill-down. Upon drilling-down on a handful of records, we are seeing duplicate data.

I have the Database menu selection "Select Distinct Records" checked. But, "stray" duplicate records are still appearing.

Usually, when I see duplicates, I afterward conduct such tasks as changing database links, adding additional links, and moving the tables around. This is not working either.

As a last resort, I may have to look at going into Section Expert and putting in an artificial suppression of the duplicate data. I say "artificial", as I know that suppressing duplicates does not necessarily mean that the duplicate data will not be used in calculations and things of that sort.

In any case, do you all have any ideas as what can be done to suppress duplicate data?

Also, if it comes to it, is there a formula that can be placed in Section Expert to suppress duplicate records while still allowing for drill-downs on that section?

TheBig1980s

Hello Again:

I guess that you can disregard.....I moved the data from the hidden details section to a footer that had previously been suppressed.

The next step that I took was to make the footer section to be hidden rather than suppressed. The duplicates went away, at that point.

Hopefully, I'm not ending this posting prematurely. But, so far, I think that I'm "good".

Thanks!

TheBig1980s

Is the record count actually changing when you move those fields? If not, I expect that you are hiding the duplicate records rather than eliminating them. In most cases those changes would not change the number of records. So if you are concerned about inflated totals you may only be masking the problem rather than solving it.

If you do have to come back to this problem the following article may be helpful.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back