Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminating Duplicate Values in a View 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

foundryqa

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm new to Notes development and need help with a view that I am creating. I have a particular field that has the same value for several documents. I would like for the view I am creating to only contain one record for each unique value in the given field. I hope that makes sense. My background is in Access and SQL, I would achieve something like this using a Select statement with a group by statement. I am unsure what the Select statement should be for the "View Selection" property of my view. The only @functions that seem to get me close at least in theory are ones that act upon lists, and I'm not sure if one of them fits this scenario. I tried the @unique function, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Forget Access and SQL.
You are designing a Notes view, that has nothing to do with anything you have done before.
I believe what you are looking for is the Categorize property in the column properties box.
Remember that a Notes view is constructed left to right, therefor it is important to put data you wish to sort in the first columns (the left most ones), because otherwise your sort will have no effect.
Categorizing is an addition to sorting, so be sure you define which way you want your data sorted.
Also, check your Designer Help database - the help documents on view design are rather well done.
Finally, a word of caution : do not think of Notes as containing records - a Notes database contains documents. Notes is not relational - do not make the mistake of thinking in relational terms, it will only confuse you.

Pascal.

Thank you Pascal. I will work on getting the thought processes switched.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back