Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminating Bing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
With apologies to Dr Seuss:

I would not like Bing
here or there.
I would not like Bing
anywhere.
I do not like
Bing in a jam.
I do not like Bing,
Me-I-am

Can I rid myself of Bing?
How do I rid myself of Bing?

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

[lightsaber]

Great poem, but are you sure you want to unleash the power of the dark side? [wink]

As far as how to get rid of it, just change your search settings. Or are you speaking of never having it on any Microsoft Windows based computer? Because that won't likely happen until/unless they change to something else.

One way you can get rid of toolbars, search engines, etc that are installed as extra stuff on a new PC is PC Decrapifier:

It works pretty well removing a lot of stuff that comes on store-bought PCs.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

As stated, just change default search settings for your browser. If you don't know how, let us know the browser / version you use.

Or, just go to the web site of your preferred search engine and search from there.

I have IE11 as my default browser. That's simple enough. However, I am sufficiently vindictive to want to eliminate Bing (along with Ask and a host of others that rear their ugly heads at times) with malice of forethought.

Until now the Force has not with me sufficiently been. [yoda]

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

The real irritation is that it pops up as an update to be installed. That and Silverlight.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Very true, goombawahoo! I HATE to check windows updates, and they have listed the Bing Bar and Bing Desktop. What's worse is that I've tried the Bing desktop to see what it was, and the whole 2 or 3 times I did try, it seemed broke, so why even give it as an option. I know you can turn off non-security updates, but I've missed some updates in the past when trying to filter things in Windows update. I think that sort of thing should just be left out. But then again - the folks who built Windows 8 work at the same place that also made the decision to include Bing stuff in Updates. [glasses]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Everyone is trying to ram a search engine/toolbar down your throat - windows update, java/flash/shockwave updates, etc. Sickening.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I hear ya goombawaho it's downright irritating, .. and .. I really don't like fly-outs either!

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back