Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminate double-beep on conference bridge while waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim the Pasta Thief

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2023
CA
Hey, everyone.

I've inherited a fully configured Avaya system when I joined my current position. It has a conference bridge set up that users are using, but it doesn't appear under Conferences. (That shows empty.) It seems to be using a commonly found design based on the VM Pro system.

It works fine, but when anyone joins, including the moderator, you get the double-beep hold tones, and apparently this is confusing to people. I've been tasked with either getting rid of it (silence) or replacing it with hold music.

This looks easy to do for conferences set up as "Conferences", but for this one, I have no idea. I can see a flow diagram under Modules that moves through the login sequence, prompts for PINs, etc., but that's it. After "Transfer to Participant," or "Transfer to Moderator," which seem to be the two outputs from the flow, I don't know where it winds up and how to configure the hold tones for that.

Is there any way to do so other than changing the system hold music as a whole? (And would changing the system hold music as a whole do the trick?)

If it's not super clear, I'm not an Avaya expert, so answers with small words would be great. :)

Thanks!

Hello Kim the pasta thief
the conference tones are single beep and double beep depending if someone leaves the conference or joins new. Those tones cannot be turned off as it is a security feature.
They should however only play once per participant. If you hear a constant double beep then someone has the call on hold and joined from outside the system via a line port and what you hear is their system. It could still be the same system if anyone joined via the conference bridge number instead of an internal shortcode.
If this is the case then your MoH change would play instead of the double beep but be just as annoying.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Thanks, Westi.

So, the single beep or double beep for leaving and joining is fine.

What I'm talking about is if someone calls in and is the first participant. They get the periodic double-beep while they're on hold *until* a second participant shows up. Then the conference begins and the tones go away.

In case it helps anyone, here's my best following of our setup. Again, total newbie here who's only been looking at this for a couple of hours, so forgive me.

It's that double-beep "hold" music while the first participant (whether moderator or participant) are waiting for a second participant to show up that they want to eliminate.

People are joining in this case by dialing an incoming call route with a DID number assigned to it which as its destination activates a short code, *982. This is defined at the solution to transfer to the Voicemail Node start point called Conference Bridge.

If I then go into the VMPro client, I can follow the flow diagram assigned to that short code target. It asks for their conference number, whether they're the moderator, and a pin. All the validation is in there, not defined elsewhere in the system. Then it exits via one of the two exit points above: "Transfer to Moderator" or "Transfer to Participant".

Beyond that I'm a bit confused?

It looks like both exit points kick them out to *555xxxxx where xxxxx is the PIN they entered to validate that they were a participant or a moderator, which are checked against a list right in the flow. We have a short code defined on the main system that takes *555XXXX (four digits rather than five) and sends it to Conference Meet Me with the phone number being N and the group 0.

Are there options I can set on that short code to alter the hold tones? I see this in some reference pages:

"The number can be prefixed with H(x) where x is the number of the music-on-hold source that should be played to the first caller to enter the conference."

If I alter that to be H2N instead of N, and hold music source 2 is set to another wav file, is that it?

Please go to System > Telephony > Tones & Music and scroll down to the area marked "Hold Music". The "System Source" will be set to either WAV File, External or Tone. If you'll share that part and anything listed in "Alternative Source", I think we'll be on our way to trying some things.

We are going to try to switch music sources--as a Pasta Thief might switch from linguini or fettuccine to trenette.

Tim Alberstein

Okay, so we have two units tied together to make one solution.

On the primary unit I have:

Hold Music
System Source: Tone
Alternate Sources:
2 - HoldMusic.wav WAV:HoldMusic.wav
3 - HoldMusic2.wav WAV:HoldMusic2.wav
4 - taunt.wav WAV:taunt.wav

On the secondary unit I have:

Hold Music
System Source: WAV File
Alternate Sources
2 - HoldMusic.wav WAV:HoldMusic.wav
3 - Taunt.wav WAV:Taunt.wav

Now, the taunt.wav was me testing to see if I could upload a custom file and choose it. It didn't seem to work. I think I had for a time tested by setting both units up to "WAV File" and selecting it, but nothing seemed to change.

I did just notice that the capitalization is different between them. I wonder if that's a factor.

I had uploaded taunt.wav to the system using the web file manager. I put it in a pretty broad variety of places. I'm not sure which is correct.

Just make sure the wav file is to these specs. Mono PCM 8kHz 16-bit. Maximum length 90 seconds.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

After a long delay, I'm back! Okay. Using the information on the file format (8kHz, 16bit, mono, 128kbps bitrate), I was able to switch the hold music system-wide to a hold music file that we supplied.

The problem: This still did not change the hold music on this conference bridge. It played the double-beep even after all other holds on the system were playing the supplied .wav file. (??)

Sounds like you also want to remove the Entry and Exit tones from your conferences

Add this NoUser Source Code: NO_CONF_TONES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back