Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminate a portion of the text in an Excel cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbers1

Technical User
Dec 27, 2003
US
I downloaded an email list into Excel. The email addresses are numbered but the numbering and the email address are all in 1 cell....A1, A2, etc. There are over 2,000 email addresses and I am looking for VBA script that will take out the numbering in each cell.
Info in each cell is as follows (2 cells shown):
105. fsteger@aol.com found in cell a105
106. Fybloss@aol.com found in cell a106
etc.

I want to eliminate the 1st 5 characters of each cell to just leave the email address. Is this possible.
Thanks,
Don

Thanks,
Numbers

Easy!

In Excel,
1) SELECT column A
2) Data>Text to columns
3) DELIMITED
4) select the SPACE delimiter, NEXT
5) do not import first column with numbers), FINISH

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Put the following formula in cell B1.
[tt]=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,100)[/tt]

This will extract the email address from cell A1 to cell B1 leaving behind the serial number.
You can copy the formula to following cells in the column. VBA is not needed for such a trivial task.

For further questions related to Excel, refer to forum68.

Wow!! This is too simple. Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. They both work.

Thanks,
Numbers

And for questions about VBA try forum707. This forum is for the fully blown VB language and development environment. They are not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back