Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eleven Digit Dialing vs. Twelve Digit Dialing 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanYsidro

Technical User
Aug 17, 2004
US
To make a local call out of my Option11C switch, the users are required to enter 9 and ten digits (including the area code) for a total of 11 digits.

To make a long distance call, users are required to enter 9, then 1, then xxx xxxx

All of the 303 and 720 (overlay) numbers are "local".

What some of the users are doing is entering 9, then 1, then 303 or 720 then xxx xxxx to make local calls, causing them to go out as toll. Can any change be made to re-route 9 1 303 xxx xxxx and 9 1 720 xxx xxxx go out as local calls? Our comptroller is under the impression that I can easily educate the users how to make local calls, and I know that's an impossible dream.

You can make changes to the 1303 and 1720 NPA's in LD 90 so that they use the same RLI's as 303 and 720.

I am also in the Denver area, and that can be a problem. What I did was remove 1720 (since ther are no overlay 720 numbers outside the local calling area) and 1303. I then force my users to dial an access code to dial out to a 1303. SInce there are only a few CO's in the 303 range that could be long distance, this rarely creates a problem.

The only other option is to build DENY entries for all the local NXX's in the 1303 NPA, which is almost all of them.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

J Brown and Scott

Thanks for the input. I'm a little new at this, but what you are saying does make sense. I noticed that the NPAs for 1303 and 1720 are NOT the same in LD 90, and am just guessing that it has a little to do with the fact that all of our DIDs here are 303. My biggest concern at the moment is if it IS actually possible to keep this from happening & based on your suggestion, it actually may be. I'm going to ask my friendly vendor if they would be able to make the changes - whether it be the DENY route or not.

JP

One benefit of JBrowns suggestion is the user should be getting a message from Qwest stating that it is not necessary to dial a 1.

Scott M.

You sent it to an RLB that route's it out the local trunk and use's a DMI to delete the 1.

That would work, except for the few areas within the 303 area that are long distance. Qwest has done a good job of making everything in their region that is 303 and 720 local, but there are a few independant CO on the eastern part of the state that do not participate in the entire local dialing area but are still 303 NPA's.

what i've done in that type of area is to allow 9-nxx xxxx and insert the area code or 1 plus the area code.. with two local area codes i believe i would have all calls 1 plus the area code.. with all calls the same dial pattern, let the switch do the routing, a single alow table is as good as a 100 denies

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

In our area, where we have 4 area codes with both local and long distance NXXs with all LD calls requiring 1+ dailing, I use FCAS (Free Calling Area Screening)indexes in BARS.

Setup example for NPA 701 on a PBX with one local T-1 and one LD T-1.

701 is built as an NPA pointed to an RLI used to access the local trunk route.

1701 is built as an NPA pointed to a different RLI that has its' entry 0 pointed the same local trunk route, a DMI that deletes one digit (digit 1) and a FCAS index setup to allow all known free calling NXXs in the 701 area code. Entry 1 routes calls out the LD route and does not delete the digit 1.

The result is that if a user dials a LD NXX in 701 as 701xxxxxxx the call routes out the local trunks and a telco recording informs the caller to dial again and to dial the 1. If they dial a local NXX in 701 as 1701xxxxxxx the PBX will recognize the NXX as local, delete the 1, and route the call on the local trunks.

At least once a year I update the FCAS index with newly added local NXXs. My source of information here is the once a year issue of the RBOC phone book. I've found the CLEC's and other Telco's phone books to be unreliable.

Keep in mind that it's not only users who dial calls incorrectly. Fax machines, modems, and fax servers make the same mistakes. Five years ago I spent some time administrating a Nortel PBX for a large construction general contractor. They had fax server sending outbound faxes to subcontractors with bid request specifications. Some days the thing was busy nonstop. One day I caught on that the server was dialing all calls to the foremention four area codes as 1+ calls. And the calls routed fine; right out the LD T-1 at 6 cents a minute. Turns out the fax server could only decide whether or not to dial the leading 1 based on a NPA and not NPA+NXX so the customer server administrators told it to dial the leading 1 ON EVERY CALL. And at that time this fax server had been in service for close to five years. This marked the origin of the FCAS solution.

Scott

I've been doing a little investigating and haven't been able to locate any NXXs in area codes 303 or 720 that are NOT local numbers. You say that there are a few in the Eastern Part of Colorado, but I guess I'm tapping the wrong sources. Do you have any info or links that verify this? I'm hestitant to change any RLI until I'm 99.999% sure.

Check out the Rate center maps on the links below:

and

The first is Denver (303/720) and the second shows all of Colorado. You will see on the Denver map there are a few CO areas that are not defined, since they are run by independant CO's. In these areas, calls from Longmont might still be considered LD. It may also be a moot point depending on where your office is located. I tried to get more info on the CO's and who owns them/what NXX's are assigned, but I did not have any luck. I did not spend too much time, as I am sure the info is out there.

Hope this helps.

Scott M.

Scott

Thanks for that - that's a great resource tool. The School that I work at is in Boulder & I know that calls are local to Longmont and Castle Rock, so I'm thinking in our case it is a moot point.
In my switch, the RLI for 303 is 0. The RLI for 1303 is 1. If I change the RLI on 1303 to 0, will calls be routed locally only? We use an alternate LD carrier (not Qwest). When Callers use 1+ to call any number, they are instructed to enter their LD code and billed for toll regardless if the NXX is a local one or not. I'm hoping to put an end to that.

Our switches in the Denver area use 303 and 720 in the SPN table. We do not use 1303 and 1720 in any other table since Qwest no longer routes them locally.

Have fun.

Calls to 1303 will be routed out the same trunk group that your local calls are routed. If that is to Qwest, then the answer to your question is yes. Since I have no idea how your BARS/NARS is set up, I cannot say with absolute certainty this is right, but my gut says it is.

Scott M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back