Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic Screwdriver Recommendation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobtech

Technical User
May 9, 2007
US
I am a computer tech, and looking for a good electronic screwdriver for working on desktops and laptops. Thansk for the help, Amazon links would be the best.

electronic screwdriver"?

I just use a garden variety phillips head screwdriver, which has worked for me the last 15 years for every computer job I've ever undertaken. Magnetic tip or no? I have both and have used both without a problem.

Much is really just preference, overall. But as long as the screwdriver is forged well, there isn't that much difference between one screwdriver or another.

Measurement is not management.

...and avoid the battery-powered electric screwdriver for electronics. While not bad for major disassembly, you will find that it will have too much torque for tightening down sensitive electronic parts. And it's heavy. I also don't like those multi-tip Phillips/slotted combos, they tend to be heavy too.

Get yourself a good dedicated #1 & #2 screwdriver of each type, along with a jeweler's-size flat-blade and Phillips for the delicate stuff. I use a multi-day pill container to store my screws & parts in the order of removal, then close the lid of each compartment as I move on. Avoid gimmickry, just the basics work fine here.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Well, my boss uses one, but I understand that as he is getting older and doesn't have the strength to hold a regular one...

I've tried one, and screwed things up, pardon the pun, as Tony mentioned it had too much torque, ripped a mainboard apart (cracked it)...

I found that a regular screwdriver (Phillips or Pozidriv) you have more control...

I can only give a recommendation, stick with the name brands, e.g. Black&Decker or Bosch...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I went through 2 Black & Decker rechargables, which I still use as a driver when I need more torque, but have gone back to the original Craftsman drivers I started with 40 years ago. Finallly took Sears up on the guarantee and traded my 2 #2 Phillips in as worn out several weeks ago.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Not sure if these are available in the US, but are fantaastic.

The have two springloaded clips on the end.
Unscrewing you loosen the srew a little, push the shaft down and it grips the screw.
Tightening, you put the screw on the tip, clamp in in then screw down.
No more dropped screws !

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

RichLee:

NO FAIR! I was going to post something about the Doctor's sonic screwdriver!

[rofl]

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I noticed that the screwdriver in Skip's link could also be used in an emergency to crank a Model A or T...right, edfair?

Tony

Users helping Users...

No Tony,
It doesn't have a big enough shaft and not enough offset to get the torque. Good concept though.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back