Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic Medical Records & NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlano

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2006
US
Hi All,

I'm looking at an EMR solution for our medical group and would like advice about using a NAS as a solution for storing the images of the medical records. The NAS I have in mind is a HP proliant with Windows Storage Server for the OS. Will the NAS be quick enough to store and serve these images?

Thanks,

dao

This is a tough question to answer. We would really need to know the amount of I/O you plan on pushing as well as number or reads vs writes. SAN or Fibre channel will give you the fastest possible solution, but NAS will be limited to the infrastructure network on hand.

Hey thanks for the post. I believe that a SAN will be the champion here. Like you said, it will offer the best performance and scalability. We will be archiving medical records as well as x-ray images.

I've found an archiving solution on the hp website that I believe will offer the scalability needed to keep up with the ever expanding storage needs in the medical field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back