Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic boards & Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoulam

Technical User
Feb 8, 2012
DZ
Hi everybody

Does someone knows how to eliminate dust from system boards in general.
Do we have to stop the system and vacuum it, or is there a way to clean it without stop it, or is it better to leave it with dust (some say dust is good for the system) is this true?

Thank you all guys.

I would say it depends, Most electronics systems will gather dust over time, everything from 2554 wall Phones to expensive PBX's
there are a number of enviromental concerns with any system, things Like average temp? in the room, what Kind of cooling/airflow
(airflow is filtered) you have in the room, air flow around the unit itself,(i.e. is there a bunch of stuff stacked/leaning agest it) if the unit has good ac power from a ups of some kind and sized correctly, if it is on 24x7,
most keysystem/PBX's do have enviromental/temp specifications that it is a good idea to stay well within,
vacumn wise when I do need to do something I usually use something like the 3m toner vacumns as they usually have a small enough nozzles to get in nooks and crannies, and a brush for cleaning air intakes,

common sense is the biggest factor for me

Clean the filters and use a can of compressed air to clean out the boards

Dust buildup is never a good thing. For one, the buildup can act as an insulator causing heat retention in components. Secondly, the dust reduces overall air flow further reducing cooling. And third, if there is any humidity, the dust will collect that too. Too much dust and humidity and you will have a conductive path between components or chip leads.
The best way to reduce dust buildup inside your equipment is to do your best to eliminate it outside of your equipment. Good housekeeping practices and routine filter maintenance is a good start. As others have suggested, if you see dust buildup, compressed air is a good way to get it off the boards without shutting the system down. Keeping in mind that if you blow the dust out it’s going somewhere. If it isn’t captured or cleaned up, it’s going to get into some other equipment.

Thaks a lot guys for all these tips:

"Keeping in mind that if you blow the dust out it’s going somewhere. If it isn’t captured or cleaned up, it’s going to get into some other equipment."

That's way I talked about vacuum, you disn't talk about is it bad for the equipment, because with a compressor dust will be eveywhere and it will come back.

LOL, I take my stuff outside first.

Compressed air is stronger so it will loosen the caked on crap.
I am not talking about the small can of air either although some of them might help a little.

I tried those reducers and brush once with a vaccum but the motor burnt out trying to such all that air through a small hole.

If you have to vacumm maybe use a light brush and loosen the crap first.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Clean the filters and use a can of compressed air to clean out the boards

With it powered OFF!

Having seen the explosion from a compressed air can's release hitting a Proliant 7000's power supply,I can safely say that very cooled air condensing on a electrical circuit is not good. :)

PS it wan't me, I just watch in terror as the engineer decided to clean the vents.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back