Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ELAN - TLAN Question Option 11C

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELBeast

MIS
Mar 13, 2006
US
Hi I was wondering how the ELAN and the TLAN talk to each other in a Succession CS 1000S. I have them set up on their own seperate VLANs and I can't ping either of them from my network.

Elan and Tlan are normally separated. It's normal situation if you can't ping. System doesn't need to access each other.

Anyway, data network may route that different LANs. That doen't impact the system functions.

if you can ping the elan from any point on the network except another elan device, you've got major problems.. haven't seen it lately but when symposium and cp 1st came out any non elan traffic on the elan had a habit of a free ini... 5 free ini's and you get a free restart... not a great parting gift

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yeah - I've seen the INI's due to ELAN traffic interference. We made the mistake of temporarily co-locating the MyCallPilot app on our OTM server. The OTM server, of course, has the ELAN and TLAN connection. Turns out, it was acting as a router, passing MyCallPilot traffic to the CallPilot Server via the OTM's ELAN connection.
Result - Health State change on the CS1000M CPU, and then wham! INI.
However, to defend theory, one should be able to put the ELAN on the network, albeit in it's own V-LAN, and not see any problems. And once it does get put on the network, it becomes accessible via layer 3 routing, so yes, you can ping and telnet to it... This is how OTM can be routed over a network to a remote site and into the V-LAN of the local site's ELAN.
As long as the ELAN is in it's own V-LAN, it should not see any other network traffic, other than the switch's layer 2 keep-alive traffic. But this is ultimately up to your data network administrators to shutdown/disable unneccessary traffic (like multi-casting) in the ELAN's V-LAN.
In the case of ELBeast, what do you have in your CS1000S that you are connecting to the network? If you can not ping to your devices, I would make sure you have the devices properly assigned. And if so, then I would check the V-LAN and/or network configuration.

I figured it out; it turns out I had miswired a pair in a crossover cable I had made going from the baystacks to the business policy switch, (It was a laaate night when I made it). As soon as I made a new cable BAM! the VGMC came up almost instantly. I feel stupid, probably should of checked that first. I was just unsure of how the VGMC talks to the call server since it was on the ELAN which is on a seperate VLAN from the TLAN. I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't talk to each other; so I double checked the VLAN configs, the tagged vs. untagged. I even added subinterfaces with the appropriate vlan encapsulation on a seperate ethernet interface on the internet router, (thinking that the router was neccessary for routing of the traffic between VLANs). And I still couldn't ping (of course since the pair was miswired, but the little light lit up so it must work right?) either VLAN. Once I swapped out the cable everything starting working. LOL! Thanks for the replies guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back