Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EFS for Windows XP Home Edition SP3 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjustus

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2008
US
My question is essentially if I can enable EFS for Windows XP Home SP3 running a NTFS formatted HD. I have read through dozens of online forums and can’t seem to figure this out. Currently when I view a folder’s Properties>General>Advanced Attributes>Compress or Encrypt attributes the box and text that reads “Encrypt contents to secure data” is grey out and I am unable to choose this option. I have read about making changes to the registry. My best research shows this method as being possible with Windows XP Pro, but again I have the Home edition of Windows XP. Here goes:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS]
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "EfsConfiguration" and set it based on these values:
Value Name: EncryptionContextMenu
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = enabled).
Here is the original URL suggesting this fix: Windows Help and Support suggests a similar method with a difference in the location in the registry.
Above source suggest this location: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS]
Windows Help and Support suggests installing a hotfix (WHICH I CAN NOT FIND) and then advises me to do this :
Note 1: (original URL is Note 2: (The highlighted text represents the differing locations in the registry to make changes.)
After you install the hotfix, you can prevent EFS from generating self-signed certificates. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type EfsOptions, and then press ENTER.
5. Double-click EfsOptions, type 0 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor.
After you add the EfsOptions registry value, you must create a custom Administrative Template to define a new policy. This new policy will centrally manage the registry change. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Start Notepad.
2. Type the following text:
CLASS MACHINE
CATEGORY "System"
CATEGORY "Public Key Policies"
POLICY "Encrypted File System"
KEYNAME "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS"
PART "Allow EFS to Generate Selfsigned Certificate when a Certificate Authority is not available" CHECKBOX
VALUENAME "EfsOptions"
VALUEON NUMERIC 4
VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY
3. On the File menu, click Save As.
4. In the Save as typelist, click All Files.
5. Type %windir%\inf\efscustom.adm in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note The %windir% placeholder represents the drive letter of the Windows system folder.
6. Exit Notepad.
7. Restart the computer.

Are either of these a viable method for enabling EFS on my system? Is a hotfix available for download that I’m unaware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jacob Justus
Engineer
untangledsolutions.com

>Are either of these a viable method for enabling EFS on my system?

No

>Is a hotfix available for download that I'm unaware of?

No

>Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you need EFS, upgrade (or get hold of a 3rd party product). Sorry, but XP Home really does not support it.

As Mike says..
Wikipedia said:
The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver that provides filesystem-level encryption in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems,

except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Thank you both. Strongm, when you say upgrade - do you mean to Vista?

I was also wondering if either of you might know if there is any other way (other that 3rd party apps.) to encrypt files in Windows XP.

Thank you again for your time and responses.

Jacob Justus
Engineer
untangledsolutions.com

>do you mean to Vista?

Not necessarily. You should still be able to get hold of XP Pro ... (and, as sggaunt pointed out above, not all versions of Vista support EFS)

Have a look here it may be the best that XP Home has to offer without third party applications.

How To Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP
"How to Use Password Protection"

298399 - HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP

How to make files and folders private in Windows XP so that only you have access to them

307286 - You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option

308993 - HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP

Thanks linney. These all look very promising. I will look into these and let you know what I find.

Jacob Justus
Engineer
untangledsolutions.com

If you are looking to encrypt your entire drive or create an encrypted container for your files, I would recommend taking a look at TrueCrypt. It is a very robust, open-source program which handles encryption and decryption on the fly. They recently released version 6.0, although I have run the previous version without any problems. This may be overkill, but take a look:

Thank you SBelyea. This solution is good to know about, though initially it looks to be too robust for my application. kudos to you.

Jacob Justus
Engineer
untangledsolutions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back