Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EFS corrupting files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2010
US
Hi guys, need some help. Have 2 Vista Business clients with SP1 and SP2. Just encrypted the user profile of each user and now it seems they are having all sort of problems opening files. It started with Excel 2007 saying the files were corrupt. Now, I've seen it with Word docs and PDF files as well.

I think its gotta be EFS since that is the common link between these machines and the problems seemed to occur after enabling that. I have tried decrypting the file and I even emailed a copy of one to myself to see if I could open it from my machine but no luck.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Have you removed all file encryption now? Or is it only on the files that have reading problems that you have removed it?

Not using file encryption myself, is it common practice to encrypt a whole user profile rather than just some specific folders? Or am I taking you too literally?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back