Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EFS and Offline Files....

Status
Not open for further replies.

akalinowski

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2006
US
I have a good feeling i just screwed myself, but here goes anyways...

had a user who brought in thier own laptop to work off of, i didnt join it to the domain until after he requested to get outlook working on his local computer w/ exchange (he was using OWA before) i disjoin him from his current domain not thinking anything of it and join him to our domain and make everything work, his documents were mapped to D:\my docs (a folder on a 2nd partition) so i didnt think much of it.

then 2 hours later i get an angry call saying that all his files are missing, i look and he had a bunch of files in the folder D:\my docs but couldnt find the specific one's he was looking for, under further investigation, it appears that those files were stored as offline files, i think nothing of it, i go to restore them and alas they are all EFS encrypted.

my question is what can i do to save those files, they are not backed up and he hasnt synced with a server in month's so the files arent on any server.

akalinowski
MCSE 2000, A+, N+, LCP, CNE

Have you tried to put the user back in the old domain, so he recuperates his encryption/decryption certificates?
G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back