Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Efficient 5260 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

daag

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
US
I try to connect Efficient 5260 modem into pacbell dsl line and I got ATM and DSL light blinking from yellow to green, pacbell tech support told me that the modem have problem, I test the modem in another location that we have using another Pacbell dsl connection and I have the same problem, when I use Cayman 3220H I have connection to the internet. I made a second test with the Efficient 5260 in another dsl service that use Earthlink and not problem the modem work well, I
think that the modem don't have problem like Pacbell Tech
support said. Please if you have a solution to this can you
help me.

Thank you

The problem is that, even though the modem works with another ISP's connection and another modem works with your connection, PacBell will still need to replace your Efficient SpeedStream Modem. Or you could switch your service to Earthlink, since it seems to work with your modem.

Harley

Question:
Isn't the 5260 a dsl bridge (also called a modem) and isn't the Cayman 3220 a router?. The Cayman is usually used with static IP addressing. Routers can be set up differently (for the better) than can a modem, for static or dynamic. Dynamic service must rely upon the EntreNet (or some other brand) of PC-resident software for password and authentication. Routers can assume this responsibility. I've had good luck with NetGear.

I have successfully (and quickly) set up dsl for someone who had tech support at their house for hours trying to get it to work. The answer: use a router and do not use the PC software. It is a consumer (cheap), one-size-fits-all solution that does not always work. And when it fails, it is not obvious why.

Besides, you will want a router for security (NAT) and multiple inside addresses anyway.

Yours,
Mike

Question:
Isn't the 5260 a dsl bridge (also called a modem) and isn't the Cayman 3220 a router?. The Cayman is usually used with static IP addressing. Routers can be set up differently (for the better) than can a modem, for static or dymnamic. Dynamic service must rely upon the EntreNet (or some other brand) of PC-resident software for password and authentication. Routers can assume this responsibility. I've had good luck with NetGear.

I have successfully (and quickly) set up dsl for someone who had tech support at their house for hours trying to get it to work. The answer: use a router and do not use the PC software. It is a consumer (cheap), one-size-fits-all solution that does not always work. And when it fails, it is not obvious why.

Besides, you will want a router for security (NAT) and multiple inside addresses anyway.

Yours,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back