Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDO or NON EDO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardawg

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
US
I am needing to upgrade the Ram on an old nt server for one of my clients and I need to know how to tell the difference between EDO and Non-EDO Ram. I have always seen it marked on the chips itself but it is not marked on this particular Ram.

You should be able to tell in in setup what type of RAM is being used. If it does not tell you there, look closely when the PC boots up. Right after it detects the hard drive and CD-Rom Drive, a menu will appear that lists memory and other config items. When this menu appears, press the &quot;Pause/Break&quot; Key on your keyboard to freeze it up.<br>
<br>
By all means, if it is EDO, get rid of it and use non-EDO. EDO is slower than non-EDO.<br>
<br>
Best of luck <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

PC-133MHz SDRAM is the best!!!! (<i>ESPECIALLY</i> in 128MB chunks.....WOOOOOO HA!!! ;)<br>
<br>
Sorry, guess I got a little carried away there......definately agree with Joe about that non-EDO though ;) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

What kind of non-EDO?<br>
<br>
For a constant memory clock:<br>
<br>
Edo is faster than FPM (fast page mode), a type of non-EDO.<br>
<br>
Edo is slower than SDRAM, another type of non-EDO.<br>
<br>
Beings Mardawg said &quot;an old NT server&quot;, the memory may be 72 pin simm, in which case FPM or EDO may be used, with EDO the best choice. If the memory is 168 pin dimm type, then SDRAM is the way to go, even though there is EDO memory in the 168 pin dimm form factor.<br>
<br>
If your are going to purchase SDRAM, you may want to consider PC133. Even though your older motherboard may not make use of the PC133 memory's speed, the memory will be usable in a newer system if and when you get rig of the older NT server. Plus PC133 costs very little more than decent PC66 or PC100 SDRAM. Usually, motherboards that can take 72 pin dimm or 168 pin simm memory can not take both types at once.<br>
<br>
A note of caution: some older motherboards that take SDRAM require that the SDRAM operate at 5volts, not the 3.3volts that current day SDRAM operates at. While some older 3.3volt SDRAM was 5volt tolerant, today's 3.3volt SDRAM is NOT 5volt tolerant and will be &quot;smoked&quot;. If you let the smoke out of your SDRAM, it will no longer work!<br>
<br>
Perhaps you could post the make and model of your motherboard. If it takes EDO or FPM, maybe someone has some of that type of memory laying around that they can sell you cheaply or give you.<br>
<br>
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back