Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editting registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyoAD

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
SG
Hi,

Does anyone know of any ways to edit/import registry files into windows xp in DOS mode? What i wanted to achieve is that i want to add a new string to the runonce key so that when the system starts up, it will automatically run an application once. This PC will not be networked.

Open the registry with Regedit. Change whatever you need. Point to the Part of the registry that you need to be used on the PC that will not be networked, right click on that part and select export, name the new registry file.
Now you have one registry file (file.reg) that can be used during a startup.

Thats all you need!

Luís Rato
MCP;MCSA;MCSA Messaging;MCSE;CIWA;CIWP;CIWSA;MCIWA

You could create a reg file and just point to that to import settings. YOu can also use this format:

;Disable Automatic Restart in the event of a BSOD
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000

;Speed up shutdown
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="3000"

These are a couple I use for my slipstreamed install of xp with sp2.

Thanks guy. But I believe all these only work in the windows environment. Can the same thing be done under DOS environment as well? For eg, before loading windows XP and then importing the required key.

Are you wanting to do this the first time you load windows after an install or just before it loads windows one specific time?

Sounds like KyoAD is trying to customize installations. KyoAD, take a look at SYSPREP (free from MS) or GHOST (not free from Symantec) for ways to take snapshots of an image for custom deployments.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I thought that too. Could also slipstream the changed needed into the XP install if it needs to occur on every install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back