Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing the "Open With..." List 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosie2

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US
I am having trouble editing the "Open With" list on Windows 2000 Professional. I have researched on the net and have found the following information on where to make changes in the system registry:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithList
Name: c
Data Type: REG_SZ
Value: EXCEL.EXE
MRUlist: abc

Basically I want to open .txt files with Excel and I want to do this without opening a "Choose Program" window. I have followed the directions but Excel still is not present
in the "Open With" selection list. Does anyone else know of another setting that has to be entered?

Hello

As txt files are normally plain text, it is more normal to have them open in Notepad or similar. However, if you want to add an "Open with Excel" option to the right click menu, here's how to do it:

1. Load windows explorer
2. Go to Tools -> Options and click on the File types tab.
3. Scroll down the list to find the TXT file type
4. Click the Advanced button
5. Click "New" next to the file types box.
6. Type "Open with Excel" in the Action box, and
the path to excel.exe (which will vary depending on your office version) in quote marks followed by "%1",eg for Office XP in the default location:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\excel.exe" "%1"

OK this and OK the folder options, and then you can right click on a TXT file to load it into Excel.

John

Add the Following String Value under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionFileExts\.txt

Name=Application
Value=EXCEL.EXE

That should do it.

Yves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back