Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing Styles in "Writer" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnysavage

Programmer
May 29, 2002
US
The default page style has left and right margins of 1.25". I would like to edit the styles in a global fasion. If I edit the the default page style using the "Stylist", it only changes for that document. I would like to make change at a lower level, so all new documents would have the styles I set.

How do I do this?

Have you try File, Page setting, change left and right margin than CLICK on DEFAULT. which will change all margin setting to the new value.

Regards
NC

Ok, that didn't work, but maybe I'm missing something.

Under File there is no Page setting option. If I go Format > Page... and change the margins there, it only changes for the CURRENT document. When I click File > New > Text Document, I get a new file with the same 1.25" margins. The same thing happens when, using the "Stylist", I select "Page Styles", "Modify..." the "Default" styles margins, and click "OK". There is no Default button that I've seen anywhere either.

Once I get the answer to this problem, I'm writing a FAQ. :p

Format/Page/Margins and then set margins

then:
File/Templates/Save
and overwrite the default Template

OK, I have tried that just now, it didn't solve the problem. What I did find is the instructions in "Help". This is quoted from there:

[ol]If you find you always have to change the formatting of your new documents to suit your requirements, it is time to use a separate template, known as the default template. This default template will be used every time you open a new text document, by choosing File - New - Text Document, for example.
[ol]
[li]Create or open a document that contains your favorite Styles and formatting.
[li]You can delete the text of the document if you want, so that only the Styles and other settings remain.
[li]Save the document as template by choosing File - Templates - Save.
Doing so saves the document as a template in {installpath}\user\template.
[li]Choose File - Templates - Organize.
[li]In the left list box of templates, double-click "Default". The name of the default template you have saved will appear. Click the name.
[li]Open the context menu and choose Set as Default Template. Close the dialog. This template will now be used as the default template.
[/ol]
[/ol]
[ol]Reset Default Template[ol]
[li]Choose File - Templates - Organize.
[li]Open the context menu of one of the list boxes or open the submenu of the Commands button.
[li]Choose Reset Default Template. This command opens a submenu in which you see every document type for which you have selected a default template. Select the document type you want to assign the default settings to.[/ol][/ol]

I hope that someone will later benefit from adventure here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back