Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing Registry - Text Editor doesn't work but Registry Editor does

Status
Not open for further replies.

egli

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
CA
Just apparently successfully edited the registry on my second try...at least it booted up without the annoying "cannot find .....ESUART.VXD" message I always got.

Use this info at YOUR OWN RISK! Mileage may vary... No helmet can protect wearer against all foreseeable impacts....

-Backed up user.dat and system.dat to a temp directory.

-Started up Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

-Exported the registry file using Export Registry File (Range=all) to a temp directory
-Opened the exported file with Word Pad
-Found the paragraph referring to ESUART and deleted it.
-Saved the modified file as a different file
-Imported the modified file using Import Registry File. Get a confirmation message
-Exited the Registry Editor and restarted Windows

The same "cannot find" message comes up!

-Started up Registry Editor

-Used Edit Find to find the location containing ESUART
-Used Edit Delete to remove this branch
-Exited the Registry Editor and restarted Windows

No more "cannot find" message!
I do seem to see a page or 2 of DOS before Windows starts that I didn't see before. I hope this doesn't indicate Windows is booting any differently.
However, I no longer have to "hit any key to continue" before booting!

I don't understand why the Registry Help talks about Importing ,Exporting, & editing the registry file when it doesn't seem to accept the change anyway.

Anyone?

Glad you have things working but editing with Wordpad is risky..........

This MAY have been easier.....

Be sure and read included link..
You wrote
>>I don't understand why the Registry Help talks about Importing ,Exporting, & editing the registry file when it doesn't seem to accept the change anyway.<<

A reboot is sometimes NECESSARY... smitee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back