Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

editing files through browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisdela

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
GB
Hi

I'm pretty new to sharepoint. I need to be able to open files in a document library through a web browser and save them back. When i click on the document it opens in the browser but if i try and save it back i get an error stating it can't as it's read only. If i open it through excel it's fine. it lets me change it and save it back?

Any help much appreciated

Which version of Office are you using? What happens if you select Edit with Microsoft Word from the context menu for the document?

if i open it in word it is fine it allows me to save back, its office 2003 i am using. The reason i'd like to be able to open it through a web browser , make changes and then save back is that a lot of the users that are going to be using the portal are on remote sites with slow links and the browser pages load a lot quicker.

Thanks for the reply, hope this helps clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back