Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing config.sys in WIN XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2002
IN
Hi,

I have an accounting software programmed in Clipper which requires the following line in Config.sys.
FILES=200. But I could not find config.sys file in Win XP and whenever I run the program it says DOS ERROR 4.

Please help!!

Gosh, does XP even use a config.sys anymore (he thinks aloud)? Go to start, run, and type in:

sysedit

There's a window for config.sys. Just type in

FILES=200

close, save, and restart.

XP (and all NT based systems) normally use config.nt (and autoexec.nt) for Dos environment initialisation. They live in \windows\system32 (and contain helpful text). Config.sys & autoexec.bat in root of system drive are ignored.

You'll need to watch it with the clipper program. You can set up your program to work with the Config.nt and Autoexec.nt but the program will use 100% of the cpu resources. At least that's what happened at my work :)

Mazrium, what did you do to resolve the cpu resources? I am having trouble with XP Home edition hogging all of my memory.
One of my apps worked on XP just a couple of weeks ago and now I get an error "too low of memory to run this task". I have 512MB RAM.

Boy, if you could help me I would surely appreciate it. I have tried every combo of sizes in virtual memory, temp file folder sizes, etc and nothing helps. Rebooting does nothing either.

Nelljack.

This thread might touch on your problem.

thread779-293833

We are useing a program called Tame ( to solve the issue. It runs a little on the slow side but if all you have is XP and they aren't planning to upgrade your software it might be a necessary evil.
As far as the Low memory error, it sounds like a memory leak. Try uninstalling any programs you installed about the time this started happening.

Wolluf: those config.nt and autoexec.nt files.... are they global or per-user? Are those executed upon starting 2K/XP or does it load whenever a DOS prompt is opened, and only for that session? I've been wondering why I put commands in my autoexec.bat and it doesn't execute.. this 'splains everything.

Thanks for your helps. I have checked the threads and read the others. Will check out the bat file and see if there is something there. Then I will recheck the compatibility issue again.

Again thanks.

xyrx,

config.nt & autoexec.nt are global - as it says in the default ones provided the values are used to initialise the dos environment unless a different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

wolluf: How can I find whether a different startup file is mentioned in the applications PIF or not. I have an accounting software programmed in clipper. I also have a clipper decompiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back