Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing a Record from a form

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpnorris

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2002
US
I have created a form that I want to edit current information. I would like to edit the information and hit a "Save" button before anything is committed to the database.

The problem is that as long as the fields are bound, the second you make a change to any of the fields, the change is saved to the database. Does anyone know of a way to prevent this from happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Even with a bound form no change is final until the user moves on to a new record. If you add an Undo button the user can reverse any changes made before continuing. To get the type of control over saving records that you are talking about you should use unbound forms.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Do you know if closing a form automatically moves the user to the next record? That is the scenerio I am thinking about.

Perhaps I can use code on the form close action to prevent the saving of the changes.

Also, how would I use an unbound form to make changes. Currently the flow of the forms is:
1. Main Switchboard with buttons to Edit or add a new project.
2. For adding a new project I have a form that has unbound and bound fields and when the user clicks "Save Record" the information is saved. That I have no problem with.
3. For editing a project, I have a form which lists just the project names. When you double click on the project you would like to edit, another form opens with all of the data related to the project. I currently have this as a bound form and here is where I run into the issues I previously described. How can I get the information from the database onto the form if it is unbound? If I can get the individual project information into unbound fields on the form I know how to get it into a set of bound fields.

Let me know what you think. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back