Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing a gif file

Status
Not open for further replies.

greygirl

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
Help! desperate!!
I am new to photoshop.
I have a state county map - a gif file. I have to edit some of the text (as they are misspelled)..
When I open it in photoshop 5.5 - there is the whole map as a single layer. How do I select a specific county name and edit it?
Any help is appreciated
greygirl

Hi,

You can't. Once something is compiled into a .gif or .jpg all the layers that were used to create t e file are all merged together and you can no longer access all the layers. You will just have to go in an use the eraser tool very carefully, erase the words that are mispelled and re-type the words.

Hope this helps!

relax.gif

Keep up to date with my 2003 NHL Playoffs Wallpaper

And I think before you can do anything, you have to convert the mode to something like RGB, and possibly even before that, save the file as a PSD. GIF files opened in Photoshop won't let you do much to them.

Yes, you have to convert the color mode to RGB, before you can do anything to it then you will have to unlock the layer by double clicking on the layer then hit ok when the dialog box comes up to make it into a layer and then you can do your actual editing.

Hope this helps!

relax.gif

Keep up to date with my 2003 NHL Playoffs Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back