Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editable Checkbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

newestAF

Technical User
Jul 9, 2009
US
For those providing help, THANKS! Best forum I've found so far. Here's my next question: I have a form (ITF) whose recordsource is a query combining two tables. I need to add a checkbox to the form to flag returned notifications. I can add the checkbox but not use it. It either checks and is that way for all records (regardless of changing the unique settings) or I get a message on the bottom left says "Form is read-only." It won't do anything. I've changed the recordsource to a SQL statement to link directly to the table. Still no luck. I have no idea where to go from here.

Is the checkbox bound to a field in the query?

Randy

I've tried both ways. Got a hint to check on the PK for both tables.

Disregard. I found the answer in another post earlier. The trick was having a PK assigned for both tables. Once I set that up, it worked like a charm.

Ok, when I started working on this again, the checkbox quit working though I didn't change anything with the query or the tables. Also, I have fields on the form that need to be updated but they won't either. I believe the whole issue is that the dbs is registering the query as an non-updatable query. Query is the form's recordsource. I've done the research and it should be but isn't. Could really use some help.

Can you post the query here? Couple of things to check first though. Make sure it's not a "Group By" (aggregate) query. Check properties of query make sure it's not Snapshot. Make sure Form's properties Allow Edits is Yes. Also, sometimes Outer Joins will render it non-updateable.
--Jim

Thanks. I found out that the PK's weren't matching up so I had to clean it up and tried it again. Works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back