Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit XML file using MS Excel or XML editor and reimport into App

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxWill

MIS
Mar 30, 2009
US
Not familiar with XML...Need to edit exported XML file using MS Excel or XML Editor and reimport back to Application

Using application at work to perform stress testing on 200 record Datasheet.
On the datasheet, there are several columns that allow for the testing of various scenarios.

For a simplified example, the main datasheet has the following columns;
Description AccountID IsCurrent (Yes or No) Type (Dropdown with "Asset" or "Liability" as options)
Item1-----------12345------------Yes---------------------Asset
Item2-----------12346------------No----------------------Asset
Item3-----------12347------------Yes---------------------Liability
Item4-----------12348------------No----------------------Liability

Currently, I test all possible scenarios within the application by specifying "Yes" or "No" in the column titled "IsCurrent" for
each record and selecting "Asset" or "Liability" in the column titled "Type" and then process the changes by clicking "Apply" and then "Save."
I can only process one modification within the application at a time!

The default for the "IsCurrent" field is "No." and the default for the "Type" field is blank.
Upon processing, all of the fields that I modified are now highlighted in yellow to indicate that they have been modified.
This process is quite time consuming.

Upon further review, it appears that I can export the 200 record datasheet as a XML file and maybe edit the XML file using MS Excel and then import back to the application. This will greatly facilitate the testing of all possible scenarios - more time efficient because
I can make changes to multiple records at a time!

Specifically, I would like to modify the first record within the application, then export the XML file to MS Excel, modify the "IsCurrent" and "Type" fields for all of the remaining 199 records (by typing "Yes" or "No" or "Asset" or "Liability" in the appropriate field),
copy the highlighted property from the first record to the remaining 199 records and then import back to the application. Upon importing back to
the application, all of the fields that were modified in MS Excel should display as highlighted as if they had been modified within the application.

My assumption is that I can readily identify the property of a particular cell for the first record, using MS Exel or a XML editor, and then just copy that property down to the remaining 199 records.

Is it possible to modify a XML file using a XML File editor such as Notepad, Notepad ++ or within MS Excel?

If so, how can this be efficiently performed?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Will attempt to provide a sample copy of the XML file but may not be able to for confidentiality purposes...

Maybe you can try a simple Search&Replace using the tags.

I mean, if the XML looks like <test>Yes</test> you could try replacing if with <test>No</test> but it's difficult to say without seeing the structure

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back