Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

edit .profile with ufsdump

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracee

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
Hi,

I need to backup my system with the ufsdump command, but it will not let me. How do I add the ufsdump command to my .profile? I think this will fix the problem.

Thanx!
Tracee

You cannot add the ufsdump command to your profile. You will need to either be root or su as root to run a ufsdump.

or chmod 4555 ufsdump so anybody on this host can use it

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

ups, it is already
walmart# which ufsdump
/usr/sbin/ufsdump
walmart# ls -al /usr/sbin/ufsdump
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Sep 17 13:28 /usr/sbin/ufsdump -> ../lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump
walmart# ls -al /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root bin 87508 Aug 7 2003 /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump
walmart#

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

daFranze,

First off, thank all of you for getting back with me.
The path for the ufsdump is usr/sbin/ufsdump
From your post it looks like all I need to do is put the path in the .profile. Is that correct?

Thanx,
Tracee

to use ufsdump you need to edit PATH in .profile

your shell will then find a link ufsdump in the dicrectory /usr/sbin (link is pointing to /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump)

to do a quickcheck:
$ echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/local
$ export PATH
$ which ufsdump
no ufsdump in /bin /usr/local
$ PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin/
$ export PATH
$ which ufsdump
/usr/sbin//ufsdump
$

Regards
-- Franz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back