Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit form in Visual Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsolvedCoding

Technical User
Jul 20, 2011
US
I am trying to simply edit an existing form in Visual Studio Express 2010. I can't find how to do this anywhere and we need to finish some coding and add a button. So far all searches have come up empty.

Anyone know how?

You say you need to add a button and finish some coding; what exactly is the problem you have in doing this?

On other forms in other solutions I can right click on the form and select design. In this solution there is only the one form and it won't allow me to right click to get to design, it only shows the option for code.

So even though I can run the solution and it will show the form, I haven't been able to get back to the form to finish working on it. Going through the tool bars hasn't provided any way to edit the form that I have found.

When the form runs the labels are there and the button is there but it won't let me edit the form for some reason. I can't find a way to get back to the form to finish the changes needed.

Ah I see what you mean - right clicking on a form in the Solution explorer normally gives the option 'View Designer' and there is also a button at the top of the Solution explorer that says 'View Designer' when you hover the mouse over it. So your button and right click option for 'View Designer' are missing, and you only have the option to view code, yes?
Did you create this project from scratch or are you working on a project that someone else started?
What type of form is this? A normal windows form?

If you open the code window and right click in the code is there an option to view designer?
In your solution explorer click the Show All Files option - second icon from the left,usually.
AT your form there should be a plus symbol; click that and it should show all files connected with the form.
is there a file named like xxx.designer.vb?

In solution Explorer double click your "formxxx.vb" to open it.
OR if you have the "Show All Files" option toggled on then just select your formxxx.vb and click "View code".
Now in the editor (left hand pane), is it blank/empty? or is it missing the class declaration?
E.G. :
Public Class formxxx '/at the beginning

End Class '/at the bottom

if missing, add those lines back in and save it then you should be able to see the designer option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back