Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit boot.ini in recovery console not possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I built a test Win2k server to experiment with and I have run into my first problem. It's running two mirrored SCSI drives (because that's the setup for my "live" servers). I shut the server down, removed the SCSI cable from one of the drives, then booted it back up. I was very surprised to see it boot all the way so I shut it down again and put the cable back on, but now it won't boot. I booted into recovery console but I'm not able to edit any files, so here's my question--how do I edit the boot.ini files from the recovery console? I even navigated to C:\winnt\system32 and tried to use the normal edit.com but that doesn't work. Like I mentioned earlier this isn't a critical server, but if something like this happens on a critical server I'd like to be able to get it going again. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

well, what about create a boot.ini manually and save it to diskette and copy it to the c:\boot.ini?
There's also a boot.bak in c:\, maybe u can use that?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Fruiteri,

Yeah, those are viable options but I was hoping there was some way of editing the boot.ini file from the recovery console. I was suprised that EDIT.COM isn't included in the recovery console options, and even more surprised that I couldn't run the EDIT.COM from the system32 folder.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back